Saturday, May 31, 2014

Enchiladas like a fat girl

I don't fix Enchiladas when I'm trying to be healthy, I just don't.  I know I'm going to eat more than I should, then eat it again for lunch the next day.  They freeze just fine but...so delicious!

The trick to making enchiladas that aren't rubbery is your sauce.  Not what's in it, but where you put it!  Make sure to have a nice thick layer on the bottom of your pan and another fairly thick layer on top.  Skimp at your own risk!



Ingredients:
1 pound ground beef (or chuck, or whatever your beefy preference is)
Taco seasoning (I like Ortega Hot and Spicy)
3 small cans (or 1 large, 1 small) of your preference of enchilada sauce
10 burrito tortillas
1 can of good black bean refried beans (Again, I've got a preference for Ortega)
4 cups of shredded cheese (I like some mexican blend, but whatever you like works)

Directions:
Preheat your oven to 400

Brown your ground beef and fix with taco seasoning according to the package directions.  Set aside.

Coat the bottom of a LARGE, sheet pan sized, cake pan with about 1/4 inch of enchilada sauce.  DO NOT SKIMP.  I'm not kidding you here.  If you don't have enough, your enchiladas will be completely stuck to the bottom of the pan and everything will come out sort of rubbery.  It will not be good.

Pour the rest of your enchilada sauce into a large bowl.  Open your can of refried beans and put a spoon in it.  Put your cheese in a plate or a bowl.  Open up your tortillas.

What you're about to do is messy.  If you have help, great.  If not...well, I usually do it by myself and just clean off the counter afterwards.  Whichever!

Take a tortilla out of the bag and smother one side of it with enchilada sauce.  On the opposite side, put a thin layer of refried bean down the center, top with a handful of meat, then a handful of cheese.  Roll into a tube, then set seam side down in your cake pan, smooshing enchilada sauce between the tortilla and the pan.

Repeat until your pan is totally full, then top it off with the remaining sauce, meat, and cheese.  Make sure you get sauce on the edges of the tortillas unless you like crispy edges.

Bake for about 20 minutes, or until the cheese bubbles.

(Just so you know, they're almost impossible to get out neatly.  Who really cares though?  So delicious!)

No comments:

Post a Comment