Friday, February 1, 2013

Bonus Recipe: Thick Caramel Sauce

I searched, I hunted, I quested long and hard for a filling for chocolates for my husband this Valentine's Day.  His favorite chocolate from Holl's is the royal truffle, full of a gooey caramel sauce that we both love.

I wasn't sure: did I want to use a "real" caramel and just coat it with chocolate? (not the same, but delicious) Or did I want to try for that authentic goo?

We'll see how this goes!  It's certainly delicious by itself!

Important note:  This is not a good recipe to make with children.  Besides the patience factor, the caramel will rise up and possibly spit molten sugar at the stage where you add the heavy cream.



Ingredients:
2 cups of sugar
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
2 tbsp butter (chopped into small chunks)
1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
1 tbsp vanilla extract
1 tbsp rum (optional)

Directions:
Measure out and set aside all your ingredients in advance.  I usually do this anyway, but for this recipe it is ESSENTIAL.  Set them within easy reach of a cleared work space (I use the top of my stove since I have a flat top)

In a large saucepan (at least 4 qts), stir sugar and water until all the sugar is moistened.  Put on stove on medium high.

STAY WITH YOUR PAN.*  Watch it, without stirring, as it comes to a boil, and bubbles begin to slow down as the sugar melts off.  (This took mine about 5 minutes)   Continue to watch, now very closely, until the mixture begins to turn the color of honey.

Pull the pan off the heat and stir the mixture vigorously.   Continuing to stir, add the first 1/2 cup of heavy cream and the chunks of butter.  THE SUGAR WILL RISE UP.  Keep stirring until it settles back down and all the butter is worked in.  Still stirring, add the remaining heavy cream, vanilla, and rum.  Stir until totally incorporated, then pour into a glass jar or storage container.

DO NOT LICK THE SPOON UNTIL COOLED!  (Yes, I totally did this)

Let cool on the counter until no longer hot to the touch, then cover and refrigerate until ready to use.  It will get thicker in the fridge.

*I cannot emphasize highly enough the chaos that may ensue if you do not stay with your pan.  Let's just leave it at "burnt, crusted sugar water all over your stove and kitchen floor" or "burnt, crusted sugar water nearly or actually ruining your pan"

No comments:

Post a Comment